Not a day goes by that I don't think about design in some sense; interior, fashion, art. That is what my world is about. I love coming up with outfits that other people never would have thought to put together, and I love thinking about new ways to freshen up the rooms in my apartment. I love looking at the three magazines I subscribe to each month because I get a whole whirlwind of new ideas. But at the same time I feel so bad for indugling in these frivolous things that don't really matter. I mean, why should we care about what goes on our feet when we go out the door for the day as long as they keep our toes protected? None of this is furthering the work of God and none of is helping other people. It just wastes our money. Why does something I am so passionate about have to seem so worthless? Maybe this design world isn't so different than the gaming world or gambling. Spending all our spare money on something that neither helps nor furthers anything worthwhile. At the same time I believe that having a nice home to live in makes one happier in those few hours they have to spend away from the work place. And looking good gives you confidence. Sometimes I wish things were simpler and we lived in a world that didn't crave material things. Maybe I should move to a third world country. What do you think?
(Not really about the third world country thing, but about the rest.)
2 comments:
Taumi, I have been thinking about this exact same thing lately too! Just today, in fact. I have so many ideas that I want to make reality, but it is always costly. I heard recently on a little bit on TV about rich people, this lady said that people who are unsatisfied/unhappy before they fall into millions of dollars, are still unhappy after, and the people that are happy before can still be happy afterwards. So even though I'm always WANT WANT WANT about clothes and furniture and activities and all sorts of stuff, I need to start working on being more satisfied with what I have. And it's so hard, the older I get, to still be happy about the 'little things' in life, but I need to. That is not something that I should ever lose. Sorry this is so long!
Yeah, I think it's part of sinful human nature to desire things that are potentially harmful to us physically and spiritually, and I think that can include hobbies and professions, too. The fact that you think about it is proof that the Holy Spirit is working to make sure you don't cross that line into meaninglessness, and is building your character (because it's hard to turn away from things you love). And you're right about an attractive home being good for the soul, and clean, attractive clothing being good for confidence. But anything can become an idol when it consumes our time, our thoughts, and our money more than it deserves to. So good luck (I struggle with this a lot, too!).
Post a Comment