Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Yum-yum

(I made this recipe in a trifle bowl because its prettier (unserved anyway) but you need to triple the recipe for that. I also used biscott cookies from walmart when I ran out of ladyfingers and they tasted better. I substituted the below ingredients in the cream cheese mixture for mascarpone cheese/sugar/heavy cream. I also left the almonds untoasted.)

Tiramisu

8 ounces cream cheese
3 Tbs. sour cream
1/3 cup coffee liqueur
2 Tbs. heavy cream
6 ounces lady fingers
2/3 cup strong coffee
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, shaved
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted

1. In bowl, beat together cream cheese, sour cream, and heavy cream. Add liqueur to mixture.

2. Arrange ladyfingers in bottom of 8x8x2 inch square baking dish, opening up some of the fingers to cover the bottom. Brush with brewed coffee. Spread half of the cream cheese mixture on top and sift half of the cocoa powder on top of that. Sprinkle with shaved chocolate and repeat layering.

3. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours. To serve, garnish with toasted almonds.

(I looked up recipes for squash soup and didn't think any of them sounded very good so I took different ingredients from a few and made my own version. I accidentally used spaghetti squash the first time but it was really, really good. Just takes longer to puree. I didn't measure my seasonings so just dump some in and taste. If you want a lower fat version you can omit either the cream cheese or half and half. I tried to but it didn't taste the same without one or the other so I added both. It's creamier that way)

Squash Soup

1 Squash (spaghetti or butternut)
1/2 onion
3 carrots
3 stalks celery
3-4 cloves garlic
4 ounces cream cheese
1 cup half and half
3 1/2 cups water
2 tsp. McKays Chicken Seasoning
basil
cayenne pepper
fresh cracked pepper
salt

1. Roast squash at 350 in the oven, upside down in a pan with 1/2 inch water for 45 min.

2. Chop onion and garlic and sautee until are onions translucent. Chop celery and carrot and add to mixture.

3. Add water and McKays, basil, and cayenne.

4. Scoop out squash and add to soup. Puree soup in blender and return to pot on the stove. Add cream cheese and half and half. Taste, then add pepper and salt.

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

mmmm! i've never tried making tiramisu before...but i think if i did, i would do it the traditional way, too (like you did with the masc. cheese). i've never been a fan of squash...i bet that soup would be good with pumpkin, too! thanks for sharing the recipes!!! next time take pics! =D

Lyndsey said...

mmm, I will have to make both of these. My supper nights are mondays and wednesdays, so I need to get to shopping for ingredients!

Miriam said...

wow T, you are the woman. Instead of making these can I order them from you? Thanks G. Also, I have to take a pic of my tattooed arm for you - and thanks for letting it say "Rock Star!" It almost made me believe I was:) Hey - did you ever get my card? Just hoping it didn't get lost-o in the mail-o. Anyway, stay away from peroneal neuropathy and keep trucking on like the amazing kid you are. Oh, and the bird drawing on the card was incredible, only to be beaten by the "tweet" on the back:) You rock my friend!

Vanessa said...

Thanks so much for the tweet...I mean, sweet...card! =) I really, really miss you! I want you to blog more, so I can get my Taumi fix more often!