"Why is it so hard to lead a self-denying, humble life? Because professed Christians are not dead to the world. It is easy living after we are dead. But many are longing for the leeks and onions of Egypt. They have a disposition to dress the part and act as much like the world as possible and yet go to heaven. Such climb up some other way. They do not enter through the strait and narrow way."
--Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 1, pg. 131
We have heard from the bright, the holy land;
We have heard, and our hearts are glad;
For we were a lonely pilgrim band,
And weary, and worn, and sad.
They tell us the saints have a dwelling there--
No longer are homeless ones;
And we know that the goodly land is fair,
Where life's pure river runs.
They say green fields are waving there,
That never a blight shall know;
And deserts wild are blooming fair,
And the roses of Sharon grow.
There are lovely birds in the bowers green,
Their songs are blithe and sweet;
And their warblings, gushing ever new,
The angels' harpings greet.
We have heard of the palms, the robes, the crowns,
And the silvery band in white;
Of the city fair, with pearly gates,
All radiant with light.
We have heard of the angels there, and saints,
With their harps of gold, how they sing;
Of the mount, with the fruitful tree of life,
Of the leaves that healing bring.
The King of that country, He is fair,
He's the joy and light of the place;
In His beauty we shall behold Him there,
And bask in His smiling face.
We'll be there, we'll be there in a little while,
We'll join the pure and the blest;
We'll have the palm, the robe, the crown,
And forever be at rest.
--Written by Brother Hyde, who was present during Ellen White's vision of the New Earth. Taken from Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 1, pg. 70.
3 comments:
What a beautiful poem, thanks so much for sharing it :)
And that first part: "...They have a disposition to dress the part and act as much like the world as possible and yet go to heaven."
That strikes home for me in a way, because my history education ties me so closely to worldly matters, past and present. Every day I pray that I can use my education for God's purposes. When I go to grad school (God willing!) I plan on specialising in the early modern Europe period, which covers the Reformation, and I will minor in Religious Studies, so hopefully I can make the study of history a useful tool in bringing people to God. Thanks for sharing that quote, too...I think it's good to remember that we are supposed to be "dead to the world" and not "dress the part."
Yes, I think most of us struggle daily with "dressing the part." Not only do we want to fit in (which we shouldn't), but we also enjoy it and parts of it become our passions. I know I shouldn't want to be totally current with all the fashion trends because it wastes money, but I love fashion. All I can do is ask God to take over my heart and help me be a good steward.
love it. love it. love it. I read this when you first posted it, and loved it then, and I never got around to telling you that.
Post a Comment