Saturday, May 17, 2008

Painting

I have been working on this Art Nouveau style Grecian woman for awhile now and I think I need advice. I am painting it on wood, as you can see. I love how the grain comes through the paint, especially through her milky skin. I started painting it really thin (like her skin and dress) but the second sitting I had a harder time remembering to keep it thin. Just wondered it you think it looks wierd. I think I need to go in and put more detail into the grapes and paint some spilling over. Then I am going to outline the yellow shape sections in wider black. Her eyes are too big and her chin as well.

4 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Wow, its really beautiful Taumi. Especially her dress. Her dress is sooooo pretty. I like that you kept it pretty thin, that was a great idea. Really the only thing I can think to give you help on is more definition of her chin. It might just be because I'm seeing it on my computer, but it's hard to see the definition of her chin so its hard to see where it ends and her neck begins. But absolutely beautiful! Okay, I'm off to work. Ugh, I hate working weekends...

Vanessa said...

I love this painting. And I love that the dress is painted thin. It adds an ethereal element. But I think her eyes should be brown. Not just saying that because I'm slightly biased, hahaha! But I think brown eyes would help ground her face. And definitely add more grapes, an overabundance of them, and make them a deeper purple. You are so talented...what a beautiful painting!

Taumi said...

thanks for the tips. i actually was going to paint her eyes brown to begin with, but i love green. good suggestion. i definitely will add more definition to her chin too. thank you guys again. sometimes i need a little outside critic because right now i'm not lovin' it.

Anonymous said...

Maybe just darken her eyes, you don't have to get rid of the green completely, hehe, now I'm the biased one. Also, if you don't want her eyes to look that big, you could ad a lash line that covers some of the color. I think Lyndsey was right, add just a bit more definition to her chin, you could bring the line up a bit if you think her chin is to big. Really though, I wouldn't over think it to much, you know the areas that you want to do more work to and have a pretty good idea of how to make it work. Anyway, it's beautiful and it makes me want to go paint right now.