Sunday, December 20, 2009

My top ten "random" favorite Christmas movies/shorts


This was made in 1974, and has a number of great songs in it "You hope and I'll hurry. You pray and I'll plan. We'll do what's necessary 'cuz even a miracle needs a hand." I know them by heart. =) It's a bout two families: a mice family and a human family who try to get back on Santa's good side after the little boy mouse offends Santa with a letter. They make him a clock.

This holiday collection has one of my favorite Donal Duck shorts called Toy Tinkers. Chip'n Dale sneak into Donald's house and try to steal all of his candy and nuts. War breaks out literally!
Another 70's favorite with Walter Matthau as lead voice. It is another musical cartoon and I love this Scrooge story better than any other I have seen.
This is not only a little golden book but a Disney short. Very cute little silly symphony about a boy and a girl who have a little tiff skating and then he saves her from imminent death when the ice breaks apart. The same goes for the cute little rabbit couple too.

This nutcracker cartoon was always my favorite. Very magical and the swan castle is dazzling. Wow, Peter O'Toole is a voice. I didn't know that.
Who doesn't love this short from back in the 30's and the original in black and white. It's is also on the above Disney holiday collection. The story of Mickey, poor and trying to make money on the street by playing his cello ends up selling Pluto to a rich little boy so he can buy gifts for a poor woman with a gazillion kids. The snobby rich family ends up throwing Pluto out and he returns to Mickey to spend their Christmas together.
Irving Berlin's Holiday Inn! I'm such a sucker for Fred and Bing, especially together! Cute story about two showbiz guys who always seem to want the same girl. Bing ends up leaving showbiz to open an Inn in Connecticut where they do numbers only on holidays.
Donald's Snow Fight with his nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie is another fun filled short with crazy short-tempered Donald.
This is another Disney short silly symphony called the Cookie Carnival. It's so cute! It's about a poor little gingerbread girl who is not much to look at until this gingerbread boy comes along and decorates her up with frosting and candy to make her super beautiful. She then wins the carnival queen post and has to choose her king amongst some cake men and try to dazzle her but she can't forget about her humble little gingerbread boy.
The Christmas that Almost Wasn't has some fun songs in it too and is also from the 70's. They must have made a lot of musicals then. I used to sing the prune song to Lyndsey. It's about a mean old man named Mr. Prune who owns Santa's property in the north pole and is threatening to foreclose on him before Christmas. So Santa tries to get a job....doesn't work out so well. So the little children empty their piggy banks in a heartwarming moment in the nick of time to save Christmas. And Prune's heart melts when Santa brings him some toy he's wanted ever since boyhood.

A lot of these can be found on youtube if you are interested.

1 comment:

Lyndsey said...

Man I haven't seen most of these! I will have to head over to YouTube!