I was eating ramen late at night (I know, so bad), and Stephen said his favorite kind was cajun chicken ramen. Here is the conversation we had:
Me: Where does cajun come from?
Stephen: I always thought it was American, cau-cajun? lol or Maybe it's from Quebec, quejun.
Taumi: No! Cajun starts with a C not a Q! I don't think it's Canadian. I always related it to the french Creole's in the south. Or maybe it's from Cuba.
So then Stephen looked it up on Wikipedia and this is what it said:
Cajuns (pronounced /ˈkeɪdʒən/; French: les Cadiens or les Acadiens) are an ethnic group mainly living in Louisiana, consisting of the descendants of Acadian exiles (French-speaking settlers from Acadia or Nova Scotia, in the maritime provinces of what is now Canada). Today, the Cajuns make up a significant portion of south Cajuns (pronounced /ˈkeɪdʒən/; French: les Cadiens or les Acadiens) are an ethnic group mainly living in Louisiana, consisting of the descendants of Acadian exiles (French-speaking settlers from Acadia or Nova Scotia, in the maritime provinces of what is now Canada). Today, the Cajuns make up a significant portion of south Louisiana's population, and have exerted an enormous impact on the state's culture.[1]
Acadia consisted mainly of present-day Nova Scotia, and included parts of eastern Quebec, the Maritime provinces, and modern-day Maine. The origin of the designation Acadia is credited to the explorer Giovanni da Verrazzano, who on his sixteenth century map applied the ancient Greek name "Arcadia" to the entire Atlantic coast north of Virginia.
So our seeming ignorance wasn't too far off! lol
4 comments:
you would know all of this if you watched The Princess and the Frog. But honestly, I don't recommend it. (Too much voodoo magic.)
Haha, that's too funny Taumi! I can totally imagine that conversation, too.
And Lynds, thanks for the heads up about the movie. I would have considered watching it on the flight home, if they showed it on the plane, but now I probably won't waste my time (we'll probably only have time for JUST three movies, so I have to choose carefully, hahaha!).
haha, good luck with that Vanessa! Some choices in life are very difficult, but you become stronger with the more of these situations you overcome.
this whole conversation is just hilarious
Post a Comment