Monday, February 28, 2011

Spring Trends Alert!


Every spring I do a posting on what's hot for spring, and while this one is a little premature, I think most of us are dreaming of warmer weather and what better way to get in the mood than looking at what we'll be wearing!

This season is the return of the 70's big time! Lots of maxi dresses, lace and macrame (even in vests), high waists, platforms are back and a lot of them are ugly but a pair of trusted wedges will keep you in line or pick up a pair of oxfords in florals, bright colors, or just plain neutrals. I love the above pair from Urban Outfitters with a little more femininity than the average pair. We will also see more 90's floral returning, especially in marriage with the maxi dress. This is an easy trend to get at your local thrift store. I like to modernize the hemline a bit to knee length, then belt. Another trend (that I'm disliking) is long skirts that are sheer from the knee down. Don't know what that's about. Hair trends will mimic the 70's and 90's as well, long locks with middle parts.

Here is another cute pair of flats from Urban Outfitters.
Big trend this season: the paper bag trouser/skirt/short. If you are brave enough for this trend, find some in a cute springy hue. I like the yellow ones from UO. Just make sure they aren't baggy in the butt and have a slim leg.
70's high waisted bell bottoms are back! They give a girl like me some curves on the lower half. I've heard GAP has some good versions. These, of course, call for some platforms or wedges.
cropped tops especially over those maxi's. You'll be seeing lots of lacy ones. This is from modcloth.
Color blocking has been big for the last few seasons, but for spring tone down the palette with less primary colors and more feminine colors. Citrine is still on the hot list, as well as tangerine and coral. And we all have heard Pantone has announced honeysuckle pink to be this seasons IT color. I'm also seeing lavender in the mix. Dress above from modcloth.
Next up we have blouses and dresses with animals prints...and I am not talking about cheatah and leopard spots but literally the whole animal on the print. Horses, cats, birds, and foxes have been seen. The above and below are from Modcloth.

This dress above is my all time favorite piece out this spring! It's Marc Jacobs and I think it would look awesome on the beach with a floppy straw hat and maybe some gelato as an accessory...
Stripes and florals are always big. Above from Kate Spade. We'll be seeing a lot of floral on floral looks too. If you want to try your hand at pattern mixing and are a little nervous, just choose one large print and one small print in similar colors tones.
Above and below from J.crew. More chambray shirts and I think more and more people will be brave enough to try socks with heels since this is the second time around. Also, head to toe looks in one hue (maybe different intensities or shades) is on trend. Take a cue from Emma from Glee on that one.

Above palazzo pants. I don't really like this trend but floral palazzo pants will be on the radar. At least they are not as ugly as the originals in large prints. This pic from The Glamourai.
Because of Natalie's Black Swan performance, ballet neutrals are big, along with girly details and frothy fabrics. Above shorts from Chloe, below models getting ready to walk the runway.

Maxi dresses: now these are kind of hard to wear. The trick is to find ones that are light weight fabric and leaner in cut. The voluminous skirted ones may be comfy but make even the skinniest girl looks like she's trying to hide a bedonk-a-donk. Above from Ruche.
This one is from modcloth.
Also from modcloth. We will also be seeing the season of white dresses. Again in lace.
modcloth
H&M

Happy Spring dressing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you seriously write all that or was it copied? You should write for a fashion magazine.

lyndsey said...

I had had my eyes on those urban outfitters flats for a long time, I finally decided I have too many shoes. But i do like them!

you need to do more of these spring blogs!