Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Observations

I went for a walk at 3p.m.
The light was warmly grey. Rain?

I heard the sweet warbling of birds.
Spring is near.

I noticed a miriad of yellow-beige houses.
How ugly!

The white poodle greeted me silently again.
His head and tail were shaggy.

A red fire hydrant was the only colorful thing I saw,
besides my ruby flats stepping out in front of me.

Oh wait, there was a pot of faux flowers surrounding a mailbox.
Red and orange.

I heard skateboards and children's voices.
I could not see them.

Another home was a fan of faux, outdoor flowers.
Four pots of red and white poinsettas greeted me on their front step.

"Kreighton likes a girl that no one else likes!" chanted a boy to his three female followers.
"Blech!" The girls make puking noises.

A young woman pushed a wheel-chaired prisoner along the sidewalk.
I could not see the old souls face.
Only her white curls resting on her chest.
I wondered if she was alive.

Two black birds dot the lawn.
Everything is dry and dead.
The wind whispers hope.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Hmmm...very interesting...

The nearness of Spring, of new life, but still not yet... colorlessness, flowers that pretend to be alive but aren't, a woman who is alive but doesn't look it, a poor little girl who 'no one else likes'...

Somber (but hopeful?) observations today, Taumi!

Anonymous said...

hmm. Today's observations are a bit eerier than yesterdays

Anonymous said...

Again, inspired to write. I told Al he was in a poem my friend wrote, I think it worried him for moment until I explained what it said.