Thursday, June 18, 2009

Stir Me!

Stir me, oh, stir me, Lord! I care not how.
But stir my heart in passion for the world.
Stir me to give, to go-but most to pray.
Stir till Thy blood-red banner be unfurled
O'er lands that still in heathen darkness lie
over deserts where no cross is lifted high.

Stir me, oh, stir me, Lord till all my heart.
Is filled with strong compassion for these souls.
Till Thy compelling “must” drive me to prayer.
Till Thy constraining love reach to the poles,
Far north and south, in burning, deep desire.
Till east and west are caught in love's great fire!

Stir me, oh, stir me, Lord, till prayer is pain.
Till prayer is joy-till prayer turns into praise!
Stir me till heart and mind and will-yea,
all is wholly Your, to use through all the days.
Stir till I learn to pray “exceedingly.”
Stir till I learn to wait expectantly.

Stir me, oh, stir me Lord! Thy heart was stirred.
By love's intense fire, till Thou did give
Your only Son, Thy best-beloved One.
Even to the dreadful cross that I might live.
Stir me to give myself so back to Thee
That Thou can give Thyself again through me.

Stir me, oh, stir me, Lord! For I can see.
Thy glorious triumph day begin to break.
The dawn already gilds the eastern sky.
Oh, church of Christ, arise! Awake! Awake!
Oh, stir us, Lord, as heralds of that day!
The night is past-our King is on His way!

Bessie Porter Head.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful and so fitting, I love it.