Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Sister

A sister during one day is able to help mom cook a meal,
rearrange a paperdoll wardrobe,
force-feed a doll a bottle of water,
drop a brother's cassette recorder down the stairwell,
hit four homeruns,
play a student version of Beethoven's Symphony on the piano,
beat brother at dominoes,
and put curlers in her hair before going to sleep.

--taken from the book, "But He Hit Me First"

I liked this section on how a girl can almost be gender ambiguous. I have often thought that girls, before the teenage years usually, are remarkeable because they can and are allowed to do/be anything they want. Whereas a boy cannot as easily do those things in which a girl can do, a girl can be an athlete, a fighter, run barefoot and scrape-kneed on gravel, and eat with relish and a mess on their face.

2 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Girls rule!! What book is that? It sounds like its about abuse. But then it could also be about kids?

Taumi said...

No, it's a parenting book. I'm not reading it, just editing it for work! Don't get any ideas!