Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Diner En Blanc: A Baby Shower for Kate
I read Tori Spelling's party planning book recently and she says that when you plan a party for a friend you should really think about what they like to get ideas for themes. As obvious as that sounds, I havn't always done that. I usually have a back burner idea for a theme and then I just coincide it with someone's birthday or whatever excuse I can find to do it. This time was sort of like that. Ever since the blogosphere has been obsessed with France's Diner En Blanc (Dinner in White) I have been thinking about it. I also really wanted to throw Kate a baby shower this time since family usually get that right the first time around. After I read Tori's advice, I thought about Kate and came to the conclusion that she is beautiful, simple, and classic in all the best ways which matches well with an all white dinner. I wanted to serve a wow dessert, preferably Ombre, so I asked Cassie to make a cake with layers of gradation in blue or green. She made an amazing coconut lime cake and decorated it herself! It really was the talk of the shower.
I really wanted to add some texture since I didn't want the all white to read flat so I found wooden bowls, basketweave chargers, and added candles. The napkin has a stamped pineapple which is a symbol for welcome.
We served pasta and veggie salads and all kinds of pickled things, olives, dips, cracker, bread, etc.
Along with the cake we had almond chocolate milk with peach stripey straws.
Everyone wore white!
And our guest of honor wore pink.
Because of the intense sweet and salty foods, I served a lime cucumber flavored water. I blended 2 cucumber, 2 green apples, a bunch of lime juice and some mint leaves and mixed with water. The ice cubes have mint and cucumber slices in them.
The ombre cake!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Great pics and everything turned out perfect. I'm putting up a link from my blog to yours...especially with the interest in your party planning skills.
Love it!!
Post a Comment